You don’t need the makeup kit of a makeup artist to get a gruesome wound for Halloween!
Follow my simple tips and run with it… Go create
To add a festering open wound to your face this Halloween, get some liquid latex and layer it to resemble torn flesh. It’s cheap to buy and easy to source
No liquid latex? That’s ok… Try out unflavoured gelatine or even marshmallows to create similar effects .
Don’t be afraid to experiment with latex and ready made strips of fake flesh or scabs which will create more texture and depth to your wound. Simply attach the strips with a thin layer of liquid latex and build it up!Using my fake blood recipe, liberally apply fake blood to your wound to achieve your ultimate gore fest!!Try blue and purple makeup (eye shadows blended together will work too) to create fake bruises. Fake black eyes are really effective and very simple to do. Why not use your pink or white makeup pencil and get creative and draw some fake scars!TIP! If you want to be a several week old zombie, blend in some green an yellow makeup to create a rotting wound effect
HOME MADE BLOOD!
If you need blood for your Halloween costume this year you do not need to go out and buy the expensive stuff… you can make it at home for a lot less money!
Here’s what you need:
(1) Golden syrup
(2) Tap Water
(3) Red blue and green food colouring
(4) Flour or corn flour or syrups to thicken if required
Here’s how to make it:
(1) Combine 1 part water with 3 parts golden syrup in a bowl (add as much quantity of each as you require)
(2) Add drops of the red food colouring gradually until it resembles the colour of real blood. Be careful … less is more
(3) Add a few drops of blue or green food colouring to achieve a more realistic shade
NB: Arterial blood is bright red and venous blood is dark marroon
(4) You might need to thicken it up so use siften flour or corn flour or chocolate / caramel syrup. Stir constantly whilst adding
USEFUL TIP: if you’re using liquid latex, apply it to the desired area then hold a hairdryer on medium heat over it to help it set quicker! But not too close to your wounds otherwise the air from the dryer will move your hard work and distort it. Although, on the flip side, use your hairdryer to move the liquid latex to create a gnarly distorted wound!
FLAWLESS MAKEUP TIP from Makeup Artist Legend Pat McGrath
“After applying foundation, brush transparent loose powder across your forehead, the sides of your nose, and chin. Keep your cheeks, temples, and nose powder-free to give the illusion of perfectly natural matte skin”
As you step out into the Festive period you could probably do with a few tips on how to stay fresh faced for hours!
Below is a list of a few priceless tips to help you on your way
(1) Try an oil free makeup primer
They are really like double sided tape for your face! Use under foundation for a flawless finish that will stay put. By using an eyelid primer too, you not only create crease free eyeshadow but it can make the colour ping out. Or why not try cream-to-powder eye shadows that won’t let you down?
(2) Lip-tints will stick-better than your lip-sticks
In the heat of the moment, lippies can smear into a big gloopy mess! And if you’ve opted for a bold colour, this is NO GOOD! Opt for a matte lipstick and be sure to blot between layers or try a lip tint
(3) When choosing what to use on your cheeks, ditch your heavy powders, blushers and bronzers and use a cream based product that will complement your dewy skin
(4) Keep an eye out for makeup that does more than one job!
The less you put on… The less it will slide off. Look for double-tasking cosmetics. A creamy highlighting stick that you can use on your eyes, lips and cheeks is ideal when you need an easy, mirror less application!
Try out waterproof mascara because when you put it to the test, it won’t leave trail lines down your face. And have you tried a waterproof eyeliner?
(6) Makeup kit MUST haves!
Get your hands on some blotting papers, facial spray mists and remover wipes.
Keep an SOS supply of them stashed in your makeup bag for those wet DIY fix it moments
… Its never been easy to look SMOKIN’ HOT on the outside whilst keeping your cool…
… No this is not the sister game of “would you ever” that you used to play at school!
I wanted to give you something to think about today that involves other peoples faces and not just your own
All of my tips and articles so far have been about what YOU can do for YOURself, but today I’d like you to look outside your own face and look at everyone around youTake a look at their skin. What colour is it? What is their style? What makeup are they wearing? Have they chosen to feature a particular part of their face, for instance their eyes today? What colour is their hair? Does it suit their skin complexion? Do you like it? If so, what do you like about it? Take a minute to think about it!Soak up everything that you are seeing. I guarantee that you will notice things about other people that you would never have guessed you would and you will start to notice things about yourself that you might not even have noticed before
It will alter your perspective temporarily… and you will really surprise yourself with how enlightened you will feel for a while! Be careful not to stare though as you might give off a wrong impression!!
Have you ever given someone an unexpected compliment? I try and do this at least once a day to someone that has caught my eye, for whatever reason… You will be shocked at the positive effect it will have on yourself and on the person who has received it
Stats world-wide show that 100% of people have themselves, know someone who has, or has come in to contact with someone who knows someone who has … EYEBROWS!!
Did you know that your eyebrows are one of your most important facial features? They are one of the most underappreciated elements of your face. All angles of your face are determined by your Brows as they can lift your eyes and they can widen or they can narrow your cheeks
TIP! Whilst there is a lot of opportunity for being creative with your brows, it is important to let your natural shape be your guide
To find the best shape for your brows follow the next three steps carefully
(1) Point A – Hold a pencil vertically from the middle of your nostril. Mark with a lip liner or eyeliner pencil where it meets your brow as this is where your brow should start. It should be even with the centre of your nostril. Repeat this on the other side
(2) Point B – Now determine where your brow should stop. Take your pencil and hold it vertically from the edge of your nostril to the outside edge of your eye and where the pencil meets your brow bone, mark with a white pencil as this is where your brow should stop. Repeat this on the other side
(3) Point C – Next you have to determine where your arch should be. Take your pencil; hold it vertically from the edge of your nostril to just past the outside coloured part of your eye (your iris) and where the pencil hits your brow bone is where the highest part of your arch should be
So you’ve got three points for the overall shape of your brow, join them up using the brow pencil and mark the shape of your brows!
TIP! If you are shaping your brows for the first time, and have not tweezed before, we recommend that you see a professional to help you recognise the shape that works best for your face which will be your “first time shape!” A professional will help you to determine the shape of your arch which is the most important feature of your Brow. In part of the shaping process they will get rid of any stray hairs that appear outside the edge of your drawn in guideline
So I’ve been chatting to you guys about trying new stuff out and I thought I’d (kinda) take a spoonful of my own medicine and dig up an old favourite lip colour … And try it out for Autumn 2012… Mac ‘Rebel’ in Satin.
LOVE it for so many reasons …mainly the depth of colour and its staying power. You’re guaranteed a long lasting wear that will keep your lips feeling nourished. With the warm Autumnal feel you’ll be safe and happy in your choice if you unleash your Rebel.
Definitely a recommendation if you want a rich Fall colour x
Do you fancy trying something Glam for your Festive Celebrations? Crystals are a must have fasion and beauty addition so why not use them to your advantage on your face!?
Try this Dior Spring/Summer 2013 runway show Swarovski crystal inspired Techno Butterfly Makeup
Go create!Here’s what you’ll need:
(1) Swarovski crystals
(2) Eyelash glue
(3) Vibrant eye shadow
(4) Eyeliner, preferably gelHere’s how to do it:
(1) Starting from the inside corner of your eye, create your desired butterfly shape with your chosen eye shadow
(2) Draw a fluid line along your top lashes with a gentle flick to mimic your butterfly shape
(3) Sticking the crystals – Apply a thin layer of eyelash glue in the desired area and in desired shape. Allow it to get a little tacky and then stick each crystal on individually!
(4) Finish the rest of your makeup naturally and keep all emphasis on your eye area
(5) Don’t forget to define your brows as they frame your face (and your butterfly shape!)